Skip to main content

What We Do:

Seating and Mobility clinicians recommend and prescribe equipment to help children and youth be as independent as possible leading an active life. The children/youth we see may need assistance in either seating or mobility, or in both these areas in order to fulfill an active role in the community in which they live.

Who We Are and Who we Serve:

We are comprised of a Physiotherapist and/or Occupational Therapist and an adaptive equipment technician and provide service to children and youth living within Sarnia Lambton.

What to Expect:

  • Complete assessment by an Assistive Devices Program authorizer (Physiotherapist)
  • Goal-setting and recommendations
  • Prescription of equipment to achieve seating and mobility goals; including completion of the ADP application and submission to government for funding
  • Working with local vendors of prescribed equipment to better meet client’s needs
  • Custom fitting of the prescribed equipment
  • Follow-up as needs change over time

How long will my appointment be? 

This depends on what your appointment is for.  An initial assessment for equipment can range from 30 min to 2 hours depending if it is for a walker or gait trainer or complex wheelchair and seating.  When booking your appointment we will be able to give you an estimate of how long you can expect to be at Pathways for your appointment.

What do I need to bring to my appointment?

If this is your first assessment for seating and mobility equipment then you only need to bring your child and anything they may require for their care for the duration of the appointment.  If this is a re-assessment or follow up appointment please bring all current equipment as well.  If you are unsure please contact us to clarify.

Who will be at my appointment?

Typically there will be a seating therapist along with a representative from one of the local vendor’s and possibly a technician depending on what the appointment is for.

How long does it take to get my equipment?

It depends if this is your first time accessing the Assistive Devices Program as well as what your prescription is for.  Often the more complex the equipment the longer it can take to come in.  Timelines vary from 30 days to 4 months.

Is there financial assistance for seating and mobility equipment?

In Ontario the Assistive Devices Program (ADP) will cover up to 75% of the cost of pre-approved pieces of equipment.  The ADP authorizer along with the vendor are familiar with what pieces of equipment are approved through ADP and will ensure they access this when appropriate.  The remaining 25% client portion can be covered through Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD), Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) or extended health benefit coverage if you have it.

How To Refer:

Telephone Icon

or 1-855-542-3471

Printer Icon
Make A Referral
Speech Bubble Icon