What is Therapeutic Recreation Services
Therapeutic Recreation Specialists (TRS) use leisure and recreation to provide opportunities for children and youth to develop life-long skills and knowledge to enhance their quality of life. Opportunities to enhance a child/ youth’s physical, social, cognitive and emotional development, are provided both in our community and at the Centre. Some benefits may include:
- Enhance physical abilities
- Development of lifelong leisure skills and attitudes
- Improve confidence and self-esteem
- Increase independence
- Strengthen peer interaction skills
- Improve quality of life
Who We Are:
Our Therapeutic Recreation Specialists have completed an approved academic program, such as a Therapeutic Recreation Post-Graduate Diploma or Certificate Program or a University Degree specializing in Therapeutic Recreation Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics as outlined by Therapeutic Recreation Ontario (TRO).
Who we Serve:
- Children and youth with cognitive, developmental or physical disabilities, living within Sarnia-Lambton
- Ages: 3-8* (transition to Teen Transition Services available at 9 years old to continue with Therapeutic Recreation Service)
What we Provide:
Children and youth can participate in a variety of recreation-based programs such as: soccer, tee ball, Expressive Arts, ICan Bike, music, dance, social activities, etc., as available.
Programs are group activity focused with individual consultation, as required.
Programs are provided in Centre, in the community and via virtual settings.
Support can be provided to community partners and schools, to help create more inclusive services and to develop strategies in areas of program adaptations, accessibility and participation.
What to Expect:
Following referral to this service, an initial assessment will be scheduled with the parent/caregiver to identify their child’s needs, abilities, interests and to set goals for intervention/programming.
Recreation opportunities will be provided for children and youth to participate in fun therapeutic programs and activities that promote their development and maintenance of physical abilities, social skills, confidence and self-esteem.
Education opportunities will be provided to assist in leisure awareness and education, as well as community integration.
Community Recreation and Leisure Resources
- Special Olympics Sarnia
- Community Living
- St. Clair Child and Youth Services
- SD Lambton – Sport for Disabled: Sarnia Lambton
- Sarnia Minor Athletic Association (Challenger Baseball)
- Iron Eagles Weightlifting Club
- YMCA of Southwestern Ontario
- Sarnia Ice Hawks Sledge Hockey
Connect with the Therapeutic Recreation Specialists to obtain contact information regarding local community resources.
We are working hard to complete this section. Please come back and check later.