Social Work

The Canadian Association of Social Workers define Social Work as “a profession concerned with helping individuals, families, groups, and communities to enhance their individual and collective well-being.  It aims to help people develop their skills and their ability to use their own resources and those of the community to resolve problems.”

Being a person with special needs or being a part of a family with a person with special needs, brings with it opportunities and challenges.  Receiving support from the Pathways Social Worker can help the child and their family in many different ways.  The Social Worker offers counselling and emotional support for the child and their family.  The Social Worker can also put you in touch with community resources such as:

  • Specialized Counselling
  • Financial Aid
  • Respite Services
  • Child Care
  • Referrals to other agencies

Please note that the Social Work service is a voluntary service.

This service is not to be intended to be utilized as a crisis resource. If you need immediate support please contact the following supports:

24/7 Mental Health Phone Line Services:

  • Lambton Mental Health Crisis First Response Line (CMHA): 519-336-3445 or 1-800-307-4319
  • Family Counselling Centre Distress Line: 519-336-3000 or 1-888-347-8737
  • Crisis Services Canada: 1-833-456-4566 or text 45645
  • Kids Help Phone (under 20 years old): 1-888-668-6868 Text CONNECT to
  • Good 2 Talk (17-25 years old): 1-866-925-5454,
  • Connex Mental Health Helpline: 1-866-531-2600,

Additional resources:

Last updated Wednesday, May 20, 2020 - 12:38